So, throughout our quest to adopt, I've been watching for signs. Signs to show me that this is what we're supposed to be doing....the road we should be on.
And I have seen them. But if last night was any indication of "signs," I think we'd better turn back NOW!
Everywhere Jake & I went in the time span of about 30 minutes there were screaming, crying, wailing, temper-tantrum throwing children. One woman at the bookstore who was very pregnant had 3 small children in tow that were quite unruly. At first we thought, "Hey, if we hang around here long enough, maybe she'll give us that "I'm sick of this" parent look and say "Take them -they're yours!" And we'd say "Gladly - we've got an approved homestudy!" She just wanted to browse the bookshelves, and her brood had other ideas. Granted, she wasn't paying much attention to them, and merely saying their names repeatedly did nothing to dissuade them from punching each other into tables, etc.
Then we went to dinner. There was a kid wearing short gym socks with flip flops. HILARIOUSNESS. Our faith in our impending parenthood was lifted when we saw two sets of new parents proudly carrying out their little bundles of joy. Ahhh, signs renewed! We ARE meant to be on this path...
However, we then went down to the riverfront to catch some tunes. As I'm standing in a group of people talking, all of a sudden I am "rammed" from behind. I think to myself, before turning, who is so rude to slam into me as a greeting? Turns out, a probably 3 year old child, who can't even see over the top of a stroller, is "driving" it, and has driven directly into my calves & ankles. OUCH. Where were his parents? What had this kid been drinking tonight? And did he have a license to drive? (I actually said, outloud, those last two lines!) They apologized profusely (sort of, but not really)...they must have WATCHED him driving directly into me, and at that point I was like "OK! This isn't meant to be...there are no babies in our future!"
And then, my dear online friend, Michelle, shared this wonderful story. Please read, be amused, and understand that when I USED to say that I wanted 12 kids, I must have been on drugs. Kids ARE blessings, but honestly, I was worn out just by reading this story!
http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-POKEMON-CARDS-THAT-MY-KIDS-TRIED-TO-SNEAK-BY-ME_W0QQitemZ130144061675QQcmdZViewItem
Saturday, August 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
So funny! I read yours and laughed aloud. Then I read Michelle's e-bay description and almost cried from laughing.
Sorry about your ankles...hope you recover from the stroller-by, hit-and-toddle.
Min
Aww I made your blog. :)
Bummer about the stroller accident maybe it's a sign of what's to come...when your child is running away from you pushing a stroller. :D I can't wait to see you the New parent holding your New bundle with the look of sleeplessness on your face.
Michelle
CUTE post! I KNOW, Em, those "signs" are scary! I wonder sometimes myself if I'm cut out for motherhood. The ebay story is hilarious too!
Post a Comment