Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Three Is A Magic Number?

So on Monday we had been waiting 3 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days.

Do you remember the Schoolhouse Rock song called "Three Is A Magic Number?"

A man and a woman had a little baby,
Yes, they did.
They had three in the family,
And that's a magic number.
We're still hoping and praying for our family of three.



On Saturday around 10 AM, my mom called. She asked if I was sitting down. I said "No, why?" She said, "Sit down..."
A woman, L, we've known for years through church & school called her. She wanted to call Friday night but it was too late & she didn't have my number so she called them. She says her future daughter in law's father, D, knows of a situation of 3 little girls, newborn, 1 & 2 who need to be placed before the end of the year or they will go to foster care. That is ALL she knows of the situation. I don't know how this man, D, is involved. I have his cell & work number & call both - left a message on the cell but it was a man robot answering system, so I have no idea if it's the right number. I call the work number & get an answering machine - he's an insurance agent, so I'm really unsure of how this guy is connected to the situation. I call Jake who is off helping his mom moves stuff & give him the story...then try & sit patiently. I can't, of course. So I call the cell again to ensure that I dialed the correct number. This time D answers....he says he was trying to get more info before he called back & that his cell was about to die. Of course it died in the course of him telling how he's involved in this situation. His sister's son recently adopted & they were called to see if they were interested in a few more children. They said they couldn't do it at this time...D said he was going to call his nephew & find out more info. He didn't call again until about 9:30 Saturday night. He didn't have much more info except that the babies are 2 & 1 (little girls) & an unborn baby due sometime next week! He believes they want to keep the 2 & 1 year old together, and possibly all 3. I know nothing about why these girls are being placed or anything about the situation. I DID leave a message for the contact that D gave me the number for.



So many thoughts were running through my head: Is it possible to expedite the state adoption licensing process if need be since we've already got an approved homestudy? Will we be driving a few hours drive to speak to someone? Will we be driving a few hours to be present for a birth & meet 3 little girls? Will we have a baby by Christmas? How will we handle 3 in diapers!? Jake & I kept looking at each other saying "3?! 3?!" How would we handle going from a family of 2 to a family of 5?!



How can you plan for, and think completely through the possibility without truly entertaining the idea enough to get your hopes up? Let me just say, it's almost impossible to do...or at least, I was not able to do it.



We didn't know much about this situation at all, and yet, still, I couldn't keep my mind off of it until I received a phone call back on Monday. All I had to go on was 3 little girls (2, 1 & an unborn?). When the woman returned my phone call and I tried to explain the situation to her so she'd know what I was talking about, she pretty much cut me off to tell me that they had already been placed...and in fact, were moving into a home that very day. "Oh....ok....thank you." And it was over.
Just as soon as we got a phone call telling us about a potential situation, we had a phone call ending it.



This process is so unlike any other experience...and it can be such a roller coaster Those three little girls were never ours. We didn't know much about the situation, or even if it was situation we were interested in pursuing, but it still makes my heart hurt that we aren't bringing home a baby...or 3. Just because they weren't meant for us doesn't mean we don't care for their wellbeing and pray for their safety and happiness.

2 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I would have gotten my hopes all the way up. I feel for you. It's still a loss, even though you didn't have them yet.

Heather said...

Oh, wow, what an emotional roller coaster. I still have twinges of care and concern for the kids who came onto our radar screen while we were waiting to adopt our son. I wonder how they are, where they are, how their parents are.

Adoption has so many strange layers.