Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Anti-Resolution

I'm not making a resolution for the New Year. I think resolutions are ideas for quick solutions and not well-thought out plans for actual change.

Therefore, I've decided to set about making a list of goals for 2008. I'm not going to call them "New Years Goals" because I really want to focus on the entire year, not just the "new" part of it.

So, here is my list (thus far) of the goals I am setting out for myself for 2008.

1. Laugh more.
2. Complete a triathlon in June.
3. Drink more water.
4. Spend more time with people I love and people who love me.
5. Take more walks with my dog and just enjoy sharing this time with my beloved pet and fresh air.
6. Stop complaining about silly things.
7. Pray more.
8. Don't worry about things that I have no control over.
9. Read more books.
10. Spend less time watching television or surfing the web.
11. Knit more.
12. Use the St. Patrick's Day 5K as a mini-goal on my way to the triathlon.
13. Believe in myself.
14. Give more hugs to my husband.
15. Clean my house more often.

If you've "followed" my blog, you know I battle weight and food. I've told friends, my parents, my husband, myself so many times that I'm going to lose weight. I've told them my plan, I've written it down, I've paid someone to make me weigh myself in front of them, I know how to be a healthy person, but the DOING it so much harder for me than talking about it.

However, instead of saying "I want to lose X pounds" I've decided I'm going to set an athletic goal for myself. If I choose to eat chocolate cake & Cheetos, this will probably not bode well for me when I'm hoofing my big booty up a hill. But, I bet if I balance my meal with some veggies, protein, and enough water to keep myself hydrated, I'll feel a lot better when I do my training.

Some of you may be saying, "But you're a couch potato! Why would you go from sitting on your BUTT to undertaking such a BIG event instead of just trying to do a mile fun run?" I agree. I am being rather bold at attempting this....but I have to believe that I can do this. No matter if I do a fun run or attempt a 600 meter swim, 15 mile bike, and 5 K run...I know that every step I take is moving me further along the path to some of my goals.

I have days where I think, "Why am I telling people about this huge goal? What if I don't make it? What if I don't get up off my duff and start training?" But I have to. No matter if I tell people or not, I have to be responsible for my own health, my own happiness...not someone else. I have taken a first step and decided that I'm doing this. I've taken another step by checking out some library books about tri training.

I know at this point I don't look like much of an athlete. Believe me, I don't FEEL like much of an athlete much of the time. But I used to be one. I used to play soccer, softball, bike, walk, do tae kwon do. My athlete is just hiding right now. But I want to find her again.

A good friend told me that there are some people, no matter what their size or shape, that you can just SEE their amazing spirit. He told me I was one of these people whose spirit resonates with him. But he said, too, that he can see when my spirit is down-trodden, depressed, tired, uninspired. He told me I just need to dig deep and find inspiration, believe in myself, and that he trusts that I can make my goals and dreams a reality.

I think he's right. I think all of my friends and family that have given me inspiration are right. I can do whatever I want if I just try. Ironic that the name of the event I'm attempting is triathlon. Sure, tri is meaning three events, but I find it inspiring and ironic that I may soon be a tri-athlete....I will try to be an athlete....again.

4 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Excellent goals! I am sure you will do fantastic. I hope you keep us updated on your progress.

AJS said...

I am so excited for you. I am with you, I don't do resolutions for New Years either. But, I do reevaluate my life goals and make adjustments and go from there.

You can and you will do the triathlon in June if that is truly what you want. You know the key factors to making it happen, the number 1 being dig deep inside yourself. If it is really in there, it will shine through and you will be successful in this life goal.

LL said...

I will be rooting you on for that triathlon! I don't think I could ever do it! You go Girl!

Anita said...

Wow, some of this hit a bit close to home for me, Em. You CAN do it, you WILL do it. I'm insanely proud already and anxious to see the pic of you at the finish line!