Current Stats
Current Temp: 39 & Sunny - feels much warmer out
Current Weight: Overweight & feeling every pound (I did debate whether or not to share my weight with all of you, but decided against it at this time. One of these days I will embrace it, but not yet).
Time: 25 minutes (11:09-11:34 AM)
Currently Eating/Drinking: Ice Water
Currently Listening To: 90's music - oddly enough Savage Garden's Truly, Madly, Deeply which is "our song"
Currently Feeling: Hot (as in flushed not sexy)
Started out the day with zero motivation. Slept in until 9:30 (felt good to be lazy). Once I got downstairs I poured myself a small glass of grape juice (unsure of nutritional content, but do believe it is 100% juice, so that's better than nothing). Decided against Cocoa Dyno-bites since I figured that wouldn't taste, feel, or look good if I heaved those up if I got up the courage to exercise this AM.
Christmas tree and stockings are still staring me in the face...why won't they go put themselves away?! Stylist called moments after I dragged myself out of bed...my appointment was at 9:30 & she forgot to call me yesterday to remind me. Rescheduled. No one wants this dragon breath in the morning. I resolved myself to putting the Christmas decorations away TODAY. Hmm....not sure of that plan.
Decided I was going to pull up some links for the Couch to 5K program and found an aggressive running program. HA. I said this myself. However, if I continue to DO what I've been doing, my results will be the same. Talked myself into going to the running store today & picking out a new pair of running shoes which I will do once I am smelling & looking better. Anyway, aggressive. A 4 month training program. Well, considering it's already January 12th and St. Patrick's Day is, oh, about 2 months from now, I will not be quite on track, but I am convinced I will still do the 5K whether my training is "up to speed" or not.
So, the training starts with a Monday calendar. REST. Hmmm....this isn't starting out so well....it's Saturday. 30 minutes walk/0 minutes run. OK, let's pretend that Monday is Saturday: still REST day. I've been "resting" for a few years now...let's get this girl up off the couch & OUT THERE TO-DAY. Let's pretend Saturday is Tuesday, self. OK: 25 minutes walk/0 minutes run. Let's do it.
Sadie is turning circles to get outside. I had to stretch first & she thinks this part is very fun & takes every opportunity to get under my arms, stick her wet nose in my face, and make this part "all about her." She has me laughing before we even get out the door.
I step outside in my husband's light windbreaker with thin fleece liner. After this run, I was glad I decided against a hat & mittens (I'd have been drenched & I'm not quite ready for THAT level of athlete yet - I kinda abhor sweat). Check the cell phone (mental note: get yourself a watch with a timer on it) & begin our journey. We walk down to the junior high & I check the clock (4 minutes....hmmm...) then head to the bike path & I check the clock (7 minutes....this isn't going very fast). A few paces along I say out loud (I don't usually talk to myself, but I figure I was talking to Sadie) "Let's run to the bridge." We begin. I start out at a pace I think is do-able & then remember my friend Emily who has completely tranformed herself told me to run at an almost ridiculously slow pace, so I slow down. I concentrate on my breathing (I suck at this, I'm an athsmatic, this is WHY you don't run, stupid). I think about how my amazing mother (who has ridden her bike across the USA, finished at least one tri that I know of, and a number of marathons & dozens of other races) would be critiquing my form and telling me I'm swinging my torso too much (must figure out how to move that part less?) I push mom from my mind and at this point see how far the damn bridge looks. Why did I say out loud that we would run to the bridge. I tell myself "I can't stop running til I get to the bridge." and then about 5 steps later I stop to a walk. Sadie ACTUALLY turns around and LOOKS at me...she doesn't talk (my dog doesn't, does yours?) but she SAYS to me with those EYES of hers, "Mom, you said we were running to the bridge." And so, grunting on the inside and also semi-inspired I pick up the pace & we jog (slowly) the rest of the way to the bridge. At the bridge I feel like POO. I am making some crazy sounds and I feel like "Holy cow, you are more out of shape than you thought!" Yes, yes, positive self talk is something I will have to work on, obviously!
I resolve to walk the rest of the way (hey, this is my first day, right, and there was to be no running involved anyway). I choose "hill" rather than "flat" for the 2nd half of our walk/attempted run. About half way up the hill, I unzip the jacket, I can feel my cheeks getting redder, and I feel even WORSE than I did at the bridge. At this point I laugh to myself and thank God I did not choose the Cocoa Dynobites, but am thinking that an apple with peanut butter might be a good choice once/if I make it home. I don't usually eat things like this, but then I remind myself why. Even though an apple & peanut butter is a pretty quick, convenient snack, a bag of Doritos is so much MORE convenient. UGH. Apples & peanut butter apples & peanut butter apples & peanut butter.
We have somehow made it to the top of the hill. Phew. I check the cell phone. 9 more minutes. Seriously?! UGH. So I continue toward the house & where we normally would go straight I avert our path to around the block for a longer route. I don't really remember this part of the walk right now (perhaps I blocked it from my memory already?) Sadie & I make it home exactly at 25 minutes.
WE DID IT! First day workout: success.
I feel good for the most part. I will probably cough through this afternoon, but I feel semi-OK. I will most likely weigh myself before I shower (as if that short jaunt really DID anything, but I like to humor myself in strange ways sometimes).
Next on the agenda today: go to the fabric store to pick out fleece elephant fabric to make a blanket for our someday baby! Christmas decorations will be dealt with...at an undetermined time and date.
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Love this post Em! I was right there with you (in mind, not shoes). This was so descriptive, I taseted the grape juice, flet Sadie's tongue, pictured the bridge, heard the puffs and grunts! I am so proud of you. Now I need to stop making excueses and get my butt in gear!
I'm with Lisa! This girl's (my) booty has GOT to get back on the treadmill...unfortunately, since the basement flooded yesterday, I have a few days before I can get back down to the basement (the bio-clean-up company is here as I type this, working on drying it out down there). Anyway, so it will be mid-next-week before I can work out again.
You're such a gifted writer, Em...I was wanting to howl throughout the entire post!
Min
YEAH!!!! Great job making it the whole 25 minutes!!! You've inspired me to get up off my duff and do a nice long walk tomorrow.
Tri training day one done! Woo hoo! It only gets easier from here on out!
Ooooh, you sound like one of my clients. TOO FUNNY!!! Let me know if you need any help!!! Can't wait to hear day 2!!!
Congratulations on your first day of tri-training, Em! You are way ahead, my friend. The hardest part is starting something new, and you've done it! GREAT job!
Wow, you are such a good writer- I felt like I was right there with you! Way to go, such a good workout!
Post a Comment