Monday, December 01, 2008

Christmas Traditions

We got our first "sticky snow" yesterday, so...I guess winter has officially arrived. I have to accept that snowshovels & mittens will be a way of life again for the next few months. Don't let me fool you...as much as I may whine about cold, wintery weather, I LOVE that Iowa has 4 discernible seasons.

This weekend I packed away the autumn/Thanksgiving decorations and began to pull out and organize the Christmas decorations and tree. I began listening to Christmas music last week....I love the way it puts me into a festive mood to really soak up all that this season means.

Last year Christmas was difficult. I didn't look forward to shopping for gifts, I couldn't truly get "in the spirit" no matter how many songs I listened to or how much I decorated my house. I guess I was more preoccupied than I thought I was with the "waiting game" that adoption brings. It was like I was not looking forward to so many aspects of this special season, and then all of a sudden it was all over and I was depressed that I had missed it.

So this year I'm determined to take it all in....go on the festive Christmas walks in town, bring out and put up all the Christmas decorations, ENJOY setting up and decorating the tree, relish the snow (instead of complaining about it), and read ALL of my favorite Christmas stories to Asher!


Indeed, these are a few of my favorite things! Tonight I read Baby's Christmas (one of my books...which was published in 1980....I looked!) and Jake read The Soldier's Night Before Christmas (which I picked out last year in hopes that he would someday read it to our child!) It's moments like that...watching my husband read a story to our son, that just take my breath away and bring tears to my eyes!

Here are the stockings that we'll hang, but this year we'll need a special one just for Asher. Also, peace and joy remind us of the wishes we have for our world and all the people living in it.


The toys on the shelf were a few of my favorites as a child. Not shocking that 2 are music boxes and the Santa on the trike makes noise as well!

And here is our beautiful tree...When I was growing up, my parents kept a list of the ornaments that my siblings and I received each year, so that when we moved out we could take our ornaments and remember every year that we pulled them out who gave them to us and when. I am so excited to start that tradition this year within our family, so that Asher can have a record of all of his special ornaments as well.

We'll certainly remember that above all, Jesus is the Reason for the Season!My parents bought us this Nativity set when we got married. As we grew up, it was always fun to pull out the Nativity and watch it grow ever year with the new townspeople or shepherds or the wise men or the animals. My siblings and I each have a creche, and a Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus in the manger, and someday we will each "inherit" 1/3 of the pieces from their set.


I can only imagine that Asher will love to move the pieces around just as much as my brother has loved to over the years.

There are many traditions we look forward to passing along to Asher and our future children over the years...and we can't wait to create our own. What are your favorite traditions in your family? Some others that we enjoy are going to Christmas Eve Mass and then enjoying dinner with mine and Jake's family at my parents' home. Dinner is usually lasagna, and there is some gift opening and lots of joy and laughter. We also make cut out cookies and frost and decorate them so that we can leave them with a note for Santa Claus. On Christmas day we make a cake shaped like a Christmas tree and all of my cousins and I decorate the cake. Then we place one small angel candle holder on there, and baby Jesus in his manger on top of the cake and we all gather 'round and sing "Happy Birthday, Baby Jesus!" This tradition started (as far as I know) with my Great Grandma.

We look forward to an awe-inspiring, wondrous Christmas season this year.

Hope you enjoy every moment of yours, too!

1 comment:

HereWeGoAJen said...

There is no snow here! I got the mail today in my bare feet.

I love Christmas! Traditions are my favorite part. You should share all yours with us as you go along.