From my best sister. Well, she's my only sister. But I bet if I had more than one, she'd still be the best.

This is what was wrapped up, under the tree, just for me!
You're probably wondering why a loaf of processed "cheese" product is one of the best Christmas presents ever. Actually, there wasn't even a loaf of Velveeta IN the box, so perhaps some of you would think I got stiffed. But no.
Our family, especially dad, is big into recycling. Here in Iowa, beverage cans and bottles are recyclable, and each comes with a 5 cent refund if you turn them in. For people like my dad, he just cannot contain himself. He doesn't see cans on the side of the road, he sees nickles! When I was about 8 or 9 years old, they began construction on new houses just behind our house, and so every night we'd take a walk with a bag and pick up the nickel cans and turn them in for cash. We took our first trip to Disney World on the funds we raised from picking up pop bottles & cans!
Sometimes it would get embarassing. As in, when my dad would actually pull the car over & make Jake, who was "new" to the family, jump out and pick up a bottle laying on the side of the road. But seriously, my dad just cannot pass that sort of thing up. He used to ride his bike and pick up more, and my mom takes a bag when she jogs or walks the dog. But, it's mostly just become a way of life. Those cans and bottles look like nickels now, and knowing that they add up quickly, it's easy to just reach down & pick it up.
In high school, my dad made donations to Show Choir kids' funds, so that they could be a part of the program and take the trips, too, and he's also funded numerous trips to the National Catholic Youth Conference as well. This past summer, some of the money went to my mom & sister making a pilgrimage to Medjugorjie. He puts a lot of work into his "labor of love" and I'm sure if he ever retires, he'll become a full-time recycler.
When the cans and bottles get turned in, the store gives you cash. That money usually goes toward whatever the next trip or project is at my parents' house, and for whatever reason, it's stored in a Velveeta box.
So this year, when I opened up my very own Velveeta box, I was touched. Inside there was no processed cheese product, but a starter kitty from my dear sister.
And I know JUST what we're going to save our pennies and nickels for....a new baby brother or sister for Asher! Thanks, Sissy!
3 comments:
Sweet story Em! Thanks for sharing. And Asher will make a great big brother, too, someday!
LOVE IT! How thought ful!! Grow kitty grow!
That's awesome! I hope your kitty grows quickly!
Post a Comment