Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"Do you know my birthmom?"

Asher is nearly 4 years old. He's a very busy, smart little boy, who when he does slow down, enjoys "reading" books and watching movies.

His latest favorites are Despicable Me, Kung Fu Panda, and Kung Fu Panda 2. Oddly enough, in all of these movies, adoption is a theme.

In Kung Fu Panda 2, there is a scene where the goose father confesses to his panda son that he was adopted. This began a conversation among Jake, Asher and I one night. We have always told him that he was adopted, and he has met his birthparents, A & K, but just this week we saw K, Asher's birthmom. He hadn't seen her in over a year, and with this recent talk about adoption on his mind, one night he looked at me and said, "Mom, I have a question to tell you."

He had my full attention. "Yes, Asher, what is it?" I asked him.

"Do you know my birthmom?"

"Yes, Asher, I know your birthmom. K is your birthmom."

"Do you know my birthdad?" Asher asked.

"Yes, Asher, I know your birthdad. A is your birthdad."

He thought about that a minute. "You know A & K. They are your birthparents."

Again, he thought about what I had told him. Then he said, "Do you know my birthtractor? Do you know my birthdog? Do you know my birthEiffeltower?"

I thought maybe he was getting it a little more...but...maybe we'll continue having adoption conversations!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Hey stranger. Glad to see you post. And, can I say, that sweet Asher sounds so adorable and so random (like most 3/4 yr olds, right?) Hope all is well!

ash said...

how sweet! ironically my three LOVE those movies too! another absolutely fabulous one is "Meet the Robinsons". absolute must-watch. it is really neat that our kids get to have positive attitudes about adoption reinforced to them and help them feel more secure about it. :) happy blogging.