I don't know how many times I've been mindlessly driving down the road, when all of a sudden a car in front of me will toss any number of items out of their car window. Have you ever had to swerve to avoid someone else's McDonald's bag filled with their garbage as it's hurtling through the air? It's getting ridiculous. And, living on one of the busy streets in town, I really loathe having to pick up old cigarette packs, sticky Wendy's drive through cups, diapers, you name it...It's rude, it's irresponsible, and it's just dirty.
Iowa has now enacted a helpful little system. When you see someone littering from their vehicle, you can call a toll free number and report it. Once it has been reported (you leave as much info as possible - time, location, description of litter, vehicle description, and licenese plate number) they will send the "offender" a letter and a garbage bag! :) No further action is taken & it's mostly just a little "helpful reminder" that someone noticed their naughtiness. I was so excited by this news, that I promptly put the phone number into my cell phone, so that the next time I saw someone doing this distardly deed I could report them. And, I am happy to report that I did just that last week!
I was sitting at a stop light, and all of a sudden a car zooms past me, and out flies some garbage. I dialed the number, listened to their message, and reported what I had seen. I am hoping that it might make a difference and that people will start thinking about how their actions affect others. So many times I've seen adults with young children tossing items out of their car windows. What is that sort of behavior teaching our children?!
*SIGH* I know I sound like an old fogey, but seriously, just be responsible for your actions and place your garbage in the appropriate places. Don't people realize when they don't make it THEIR problem it becomes everyone ELSE'S problem?
Just in case you're all wondering, the phone number to call & report litterbugs is 1-888-NO-LITTR (665-4887). Learn it, live it, love it. For more info, go to KeepIowaBeautiful.com.
Monday, October 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment