I feel like we're in fast forward mode now, that life is coming at us, and fast.
We finished our home study last night! It should be a week before we get the rough draft back, and once it's approved, we're ON THE LIST! This means today we might not be parents, but tomorrow we could be...scary, right?
Most people have 9 months to prepare for these things. They have time to create a nursery, a registry, and figure out what the heck you do with things like a "boppy" and a "nuk." All this crazy baby language! They can figure out what colors to paint the room, find accessories, and oftentimes figure out the sex of the baby so they can plan well in advance.
As a planner, this adoption stuff makes things quite difficult! How can I accessorize if I don't know if our child will be a boy or a girl? How can I have time to take a class to figure out what you do with the baby once you bring it home? How can you really prepare for being a family of two one day to a family of three the next? Sure, we could be "waiting" for a long time. We could wait two weeks, 5 months, or two years to get "the call." But one of these days, our lives will change over night...
And just like that we'll be parents. Perhaps our friends will stop calling because they think we're old, married, and no fun anymore because we have kids. We'll be those people walking around looking like zombies because our 2 week old has kept us up every night, confusing night for day and day for night. We'll be those people wrestling with car seats and wondering how the heck you get the thing to fit correctly into the stroller, once you figure out how to pop the darn thing up. We'll be doing laundry constantly and perhaps I'll finally get that "nesting instinct" that will make me become the Queen of Clean...but I doubt it.
Additionally, we'll be wondering how we ever lived without this little light of our lives...why we waited this long for a baby, and how our hearts can hold one more ounce of love for someone so helpless and tiny. We'll cry when they won't stop crying and we don't know how to fix it. We'll laugh when we first get peed on. We'll be awestruck as we watch their little chest rise and fall as they sleep. It'll be amazing.
Thursday, August 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
"Queen of Clean" made me laugh! I USED to be the Q of C, but that has definitely not been the norm since Baby came along. It's incredible how fast the priorities change!
I'm truly excited for you! Life in fast forward is wild and crazy!
Love,
Min
Congratulations on finishing your homestudy. What a big hurtle to be over! All these possibilities, all these changes and challenges are going to be so wonderful when your child comes home. It's a fun thing to day dream about.
Isn't amazing how life changes once that little bundle is home. Pretty soon you'll be the 'experienced' momma and all that baby lingo will finally make sense.
And the Queen of Clean? If you become the Queen of Clean you can come over any day and clean my house and I'll watch our kids. 'Our kids' doesn't that just sound bittersweet?
Michelle
Isn't it great to be "officially" waiting?? You will develop a new appreciation of gender nuetral items...There are very cute things out there :D And if you get an overnight call, Walmart will be your very best friend!! They have all of the necessities.
Oh and give me a call if you become the Q of C after bringing home baby! I used to be Q of C but the was LBB (Life before Baby!) HAHAHA!
Congratulations on completing your homestudy! I remember the excitement you are feeling today.
We're working with a very small agency, so our wait has been really long - we completed our home study over 3 years ag0 and we're still waiting. It'll happen!
Woo hoo!! We will have our homestudy finished by Monday :-) We're just a bit behind you!!
Post a Comment