Monday, August 03, 2009

Workouts #2 & 3

Well, I did it. I was brave today. I wore a tank top while working out.

Granted, I should NOT wear a tank top. My arms are all jiggly. They are not tan. They are gross. But, it was hot, and I went outside to work out, so I got all gutsy and decided to wear one. No one yelled nasty things out their car windows at me and my "flags" so I guess that's a good thing. Perhaps someday I will have amazingly sinewy, strong arms like my Stroller Strides leader. That girl has ARMS. I should hate her, but I don't. I love her because she has awesome arms and because she is ever encouraging, even when I don't believe in myself.

Another good thing I did today was my Couch to 5K workout #3. It was to be a brisk 5 minute walk, followed by 60 seconds of jogging, followed by 90 seconds walking (AKA recovery) for 20 minutes. Today was the first workout where I didn't feel like I was dying. I even kind of enjoy the way my abs hurt after jogging. This is good stuff, people.

Workout #2 was while we were in Colorado. The air up there is THIN. My mom joined me again as a "guest trainer" on #2 and she heard me say a lot of naughty words like $#*&! but she just kept me going. We did more than the suggested 25 minutes, and I did a little more walking than I was supposed to, but I still was out there busting my butt to try. That post-workout didn't feel as good as the first. I was sore for 2-3 days after, so I skipped workout #3 for the week and decided I'd be a tough mom and do 4 workouts this week. Yes, I think I've ingested the crazy.

So, workout #3 was tonight. It was a humid evening, and post dinner, plus a headache, but I knew I had to do it. I took a few Ibuprofen and filled my Stroller Strides water bottle. Asked the hubby for some help in getting me, Sadie, & Asher out the door & onto a leash and into a stroller, respectively. Waterbottles, stop watch/cell phone, and poop patrol bag in hand, we set out to meet my sister at the bike path. She has a shorter distance to the park than we do, so she met us around the school and we continued our brisk walk together to the bike path. I asked her if she thought she could do the workout, and ever up for the challenge, she said yes on the spot to being my 3rd "guest trainer." GO SISTERS! I was on stop watch/dog duty, and she pushed Asher in the stroller. When we got 11 minutes out we switched roles with her taking Sadie & me taking the stroller & Asher, and we turned around and finished the workout 10 minutes later back where we had started. I think my boobs actually hit me in the chin at one point during the workout, which caused my sister to snort in disgust at me, but gave me a bit of a chuckle. Next thing on my list, invest in a few more Title 9 five dumbell sports bras!

8 comments:

emily @morefromthemoorefamily said...

Em, I am proud of you! All you running Mammas! (Still doesn't make me want to run, though). Good luck! Hope to see you tomorrow night! Emily PS Sara does have awesome arms... I am always jealous of those arms! :)

Greta said...

Oh my gosh, you are freakin' hilarious (and a GREAT writer). I don't even know what
'sinewy' means! At first I took it as a compliment, but now I'm not so sure...hmmmm. Keep the runs and blogs coming girl! By the way...I want to be a guest trainer too! When can I come?

Greta said...

Why does that say "Greta" said?! She is pretty smart.

Mandy said...

Good job!! Keep up those workouts - it does get easier I promise. I'd invest is a couple good sports bra - possibly an IPOD with an arm band - it helps the time go so fast - just put one ear phone in and you can still hear Asher. Keep it up! YOU CAN DO IT!

Mandy said...

Em - I also blog on my running stuff at
www.thoughts.com/dispatchergurl

check it out

Balk said...

Love it...Keep up the good work! (I feel like I'm a teacher again writing this on homework. Sorry about that!)

WILLOW TREE said...

I loved your tank top and sports bra theories, they're the same ones I've come to understand as I started P90X. God Help Me. Seriously. Help. Me. But high five from me to you, I'm proud of you!

Blessings,
Carolynn

Court D said...

Way to go you. I saw this super fit mom running with a stroller and I had to resist the urge to throw the rest of my taco bell burrito at her head.